Thursday, October 18, 2007

Why Am I Doing This?

Why Am I Doing This?
Copyright © Kelvin Wilson
http://www.kelwilson.com


I've been asking myself why I've been trying so hard to get my online business started. I don't hate my current job. Sure, I would like to make more money, but that's only a part of it. what is my main reason, my driving force? I've realized that my desire to build a successful web business comes from wanting to be an example to others.

I work at a credit union, and everyday I see people who just need a little help, get turned down for credit. Sure, I could shrug my shoulders and say, "well, it's their fault they can't manage their finances" and not give them a second thought. But that's not my nature. I never fully realized how many people struggle everyday just to survive. It's funny how we take our lives for granted. When we have our needs taken care of and don't really have any serious financial concerns, it's easy to look down at others who many not be so lucky. But really, who are we to judge?

Now that's not to say that we should just throw money to those less fortunate and call it a day. No, that does nothing for their self confidence or long term financial health. I'd rather "teach a man to fish" instead of just giving him something to eat. But of course to do that, I must have the knowledge to impart to others. I want to be a success not so I can have something to brag about, but so I can be in a situation in which I can help people achieve their goals. Because I really believe in the words of Marianne Williamson:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I truly believe that all a person needs to succeed is desire. That emotion, that desire, will lead to thought. And of course thought leads action. I promote several paths to action on my website KelWilson.com. I even offer a free mini course where you can get started. But this isn't an advertisement for my site. I don't mind if you find your path to success through me, or through someone else. It may be not even be about starting your own business. Just find your inspiration. My only wish is that regardless of your situation or desires, just let your light shine. Because you never know who might be in the dark and needing a bit of illumination!

No comments: