Tuesday, October 23, 2007

E-mails, E-mails Everywhere

E-mails, E-mails Everywhere
Copyright © Kelvin Wilson
http://www.kelwilson.com

I never knew I was so popular.

Ever since I started my website I have been inundated with e-mails. Most of these are my fault; I directly or indirectly signed up for them. So there are very few in the spam folder. But such is the life of an internet businessperson, I guess.

With list building being such an important part of internet marketing, it's no surprise that I'm getting so much e-mail. Many "free" courses or e-books I've received have, as a rule, required my e-mail address in order for me to access the information. But of course, any solicitation I get from them is not spam (since I voluntarily gave my e-mail address). I am also considered a "target lead" so not only am I signed up for newsletters, but I get offers for other products and services, all vying for my attention and money. Every product or program leads to several other products and programs that (you guessed it) ask for my e-mail address.

To further exacerbate this problem, I have five e-mail addresses. Six if you count my support email from my website. It gets really difficult to keep tabs of everything. I complain about the amount of e-mails, but there's a lot of valuable information there. I might want to buy something or sign up for a new advertising program. So I don't want to miss any of them. So I decided to install Thunderbird by Mozilla and that has helped tremendously. Like Outlook, it gives me the ability to organize my e-mail accounts but without having to contribute to the Microsoft juggernaut. So now instead of drowning in e-mails I'm merely wading around.

If you have Firefox, you might want to try Thunderbird. I'm not familiar with all the nuts and bolts of the system yet, but so far I'm pleased. You can go here to download it.

And don't worry. They won't ask for your e-mail address!

No comments: