Monday, October 22, 2007

"Fishing" For a Home Based Business

"Fishing" For a Home Based Business
Copyright © Kelvin Wilson
http://www.kelwilson.com

One of the things I had to deal with in my mind when deciding to start an online business about starting an online business was "isn't there too much competition in this market already?" I'm sure you may have asked this question as well. It seems that the smart thing to do would be to ignore the "home business" market altogether and look for something a little less competitive. But after talking to a few people, I realized that it wasn't my "niche" that I had to change. I had to change my idea of competition.

After signing up for the plug in profits opportunity, I addressed my concern to Stone Evans, creator of Plug in Profits. He told me that although home business is a very competitive niche, it is also a highly searched for term. So in other words, there's high supply, but also high demand.

Immediately I thought of a metaphor. I envisioned two lakes. One lake has a few fishers on its banks. There's plenty of room, but there are very few fish. Most of the anglers go home empty handed. But right down the road is another lake. The fish are so plentiful they are literally jumping out of the water. There's so many people fishing that there seems to be no room along the edges. There's even boats on the water. It looks very intimidating at first, but then you try your luck anyway. Much to your surprise, you catch a fish. You keep catching fish until you have all you can carry. It was difficult trying to edge your way in but after a while you realize you're catching fish, and so is everyone else. Wheat's even more amazing is that since there seems to be no lack of fish for everyone, all your fellow anglers are more than happy to share their techniques with you. You hand them a couple a fish, and they share some techniques that help you double your catch and sames you time as well.

I am sure I've milked that metaphor for all it was worth, but I think you get the idea. Yes, starting an online business about starting an online business is competitive. There are many people out there promoting the same programs and getting the same targeted visitors. But remember, there is a reason as to why it is such a popular area to get into. The demand is high. Don't let the sheer number of sites and "gurus" who say to get into something else intimidate you from getting into one of the most lucrative online business ventures out there. You might have to tackle it in a different way, or find your own special area of expertise but you really can't beat promoting home based business ideas as your business.

If you have your heart set on something else, by all means, do it! My choice to promote business opportunities came from the fact that I'm relatively new to internet marketing and I wanted to go into an area that was already proven to be successful, and where I could find plenty of support. My next venture, more than likely, will not be about promoting home business opportunities. But for my initial entrance into the world of internet marketing, I wanted to just "plug in" to something in which the research and testing had been done so I could learn the basic skills and gain some confidence in my ability to run a successful online business.

I don't see the competitive nature of the "home business" niche to be a detriment. I look a the competition as a challenge to myself. I ask myself how I can provide something of value, how can I stand out from the crowd in order to help others realize their dreams as well. There's plenty of opportunity for everyone. Not everyone(believe it or not) wants to make 100 grand a month. Not everyone wants to quit their job. Not everyone will promote their business the same way and not everyone will promote the same things. So take heart, carve our your niche(whatever it is and go for it. Because you'll never catch anything if you just sit there holding your pole!

No comments: